A high school level study that could be performed on pigeons to get to know the answer to serveral questions listed below.
Assume that a student at a certain distance r from a group of N pigeons claps his hands or one of his shoes on the ground. The pigeons can either fly away (we’ll consider fly away when they fly away at least say 10 meters away from where they were previously to the clapping sound) or stay at the same place.
- In average (i.e. you have to perform the experiment multiple times, with a different set of pigeons each time), how many dB are required for the pigeon(s) to fly away?
- Is this number dependent on the number N of pigeons in the group of pigeons?
- If so, how is this dependence? Elaborate a theory to explain this result.
- Is there any difference if there’s a bright flash simulataenous with the sound?
- Is the answer to the 1st question also dependent on the distance r between the student and the pigeons? If so, how is this dependence?